Tina Wu | Summer Intern
If you’re anything like us here at FoodieTrip, then you need your occasional sweet treat on ‘treat yo self’ day.
If you’re also located in NYC or just visiting NYC, then we’ve got the perfect list here for you! Keep reading for 6 of the most mouthwatering, taste bud-tickling, truly unmissable dessert locations in the city that never sleeps.
- What it is: Taiyaki is a soft-serve spot on the rise, located in Manhattan’s Chinatown. This brand new take on the traditional Japanese snack features a delicious, melt-in-your-mouth soft serve ice cream loaded in a warm and crunchy cone, designed like a fish (on the subject of ice cream - we’ve got more for you right here!). In Japan, fish are commonly understood as symbols of celebration and good fortune - two things you will definitely experience with these delightful snacks. Taiyaki also offers a multitude of different toppings that you can add to their vibrant flavors. With aesthetics like this, you’d be crazy NOT to put them on your Instagram feed!
- What to ask for: green tea soft serve, strawberries, sprinkles, and strawberry drizzle
- Where to go: 119 Baxter St, New York, NY 10013
- Who took the photo: @isabellenyceats
2. Levain Bakery
- What it is: Levain is a bakery worth waiting for. Their one of a kind cookies are crunchy o n the outside and soft in the middle, a perfect combination that makes your taste buds jump for joy. Warm and delicious, Levain’s cookies are gooey and, if you choose a chocolate variety, accompanied by some melting chocolate at the center. And what better to pair with a delectable, fresh-out-the-oven cookie than some cold milk? Lucky for you, Levain conveniently provides an expansive selection of milk to complete your perfect treat. Prefer a different kind of cookie? Check out what we’ve got.
- What to ask for: classic chocolate chip walnut cookie - don’t forget the milk!
- Where to go: 167 W 74th St, New York, NY 10023
3. Spot Dessert Bar
- What it is: Perhaps most famous for their ingenious dessert designs, Spot Dessert Bar has a creative menu that you don’t want to miss! From bubbletea in lightbulb-shaped cups, to chocolate green tea lava cakes, every treat served is both visually appealing and endlessly tasty. These imaginative snacks are sure to keep both you and your little ones busy (if not, you can always send them on our baby foodies experience)! Spot Dessert Bar is opening up the door to a whole new world of innovative and affordable desserts that are simply irresistible.
- What to ask for: the harvest
- Where it is: 13 St Marks Pl, New York, NY 10003
- Who took the photo: @cailaquinn
4. Bibble & Sip
- What it is: Bibble & Sip is another bakery that has people lining up outside its doors - and for good reason! It offers a variety of seasonal sweet dishes, all of which are made daily and in-store, using new ingredients and producing aesthetically pleasing treats. Located on the outskirts of Times Square, Bibble & Sip is the perfect place to stop for some appetizing and unique desserts after an inevitably hectic day at one of NYC’s bustling and busiest attractions. While you’re in Times Square, try not to succumb to all the tourist traps - instead, let our locals show you around).
- What to ask for: matcha cream puff
- Where it is: 253 W 51st St, New York, NY 10019
- Who took the photo: @trehseh
5. Lady M
What it is: Reigning queen of carefully handmade and utterly exquisite cakes and pastries, Lady M makes truly must-try desserts. Lady M blows any image you might have of an ordinary cake straight out of the waters. Their specialty is a crepe cake, each of the many layers made lovingly and stacked on top of each other perfectly to create an intricate taste and texture you won’t find anywhere else. Love cakes but only craving the mini versions (a.k.a. cupcakes)? Then you need our one-of-a-kind, downtown cupcake experience, led by an incredibly knowledgeable New York local!
What to ask for: green tea million layer cake
Where it is: 36 W 40th St, New York, NY 10018
Who took the photo: @ladymcakes
6. Momofuku Milk Bar
What it is: You’ve probably already heard of Momofuku Milk Bar, known famously for their soft serve ice creams and minimalist designs. It’s a given that you have to try their distinctively flavored ice creams and accompanying toppings, but we’re here to encourage you to also give their cookies a whirl. Perhaps most famous of these cookies is Milk Bar’s compost cookie, including pretzels, potato chips, chocolate chips, butterscotch, and more! This exploding cookie is just one of the large variety Milk Bar offers - all of them a unique mix of ingredients and tastes that are just waiting to be eaten. The fun doesn’t end once you’ve mastered the Milk Bar cookies - more sweet goodies are waiting for you on this NYC experience.
What to ask for: cornflake chocolate chip marshmallow cookie
Where it is: 15 W 56th St, New York, NY 10019
So there you have it - six treat shops that are guaranteed to satiate your sweet tooth! Don’t trust yourself enough to visit one on your own? No worries! Check out all our dessert experiences here, and let one of our locals show you how it’s done.
If you’re not based out of NYC and/or you’re not planning a visit anytime soon, donut despair! FoodieTrip has locations in over 70 cities, all over the world, so we’ve got you covered.